Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, June 15, 2009

What do you stand for?

Last week I was given the privilege to speak in front of over 500 CEO's and upper management. You must know next that I  loath public speaking. In fact it might just be the number one thing I fear the most. I hate attention on me. I don't like people just staring at me and I really don't care for the pressure of having to come up with something enlightening to say while everyone is looking at me. However, it was an honor to be chosen and I respected that. I was chosen from hundreds of employees. Others from whom I am more than positive had more to bring to the table then myself. However, it was my "15 minutes of fame".  As I stood there in front of over 1000 eyes, I had one of those out of body experiences where I found myself thinking and freaking out about what  I doing there? What did I have to say that was so important? Would they even care or listen to me? Would anything I had to say today change things for the better? And then..... I was introduced and it was my time to shine. I am happy to say that I did make it through. I think that I did leave some impression on them (hopefully a positive one). After I was done speaking I was able to visit with some of the attenders. It was such an amazing experience for me to be part of. Not only professionally but also personally. 

However, as I reflect back on this day I think about what it must have been like for Jesus and his disciples. I am sure that as they shared the gospel those thoughts went through their minds. What it must have been like for them to share this message and if they truly understood how it would and did change our world. I am thankful for their fearless speaking and decision to speak out and stand for something.
 
My prayer for us all, is that we may have that courage with the people that we meet on a daily basis. After all, we don't need to be speaking in front of hundreds to make an impact. Just one. 

1 Thessalonians 1:2-10
2We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. 3We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.

 4For we know, brothers loved by God, that he has chosen you, 5because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake. 6You became imitators of us and of the Lord; in spite of severe suffering, you welcomed the message with the joy given by the Holy Spirit. 7And so you became a model to all the believers in Macedonia and Achaia. 8The Lord's message rang out from you not only in Macedonia and Achaia—your faith in God has become known everywhere. Therefore we do not need to say anything about it, 9for they themselves report what kind of reception you gave us. They tell how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, 10and to wait for his Son from heaven, whom he raised from the dead—Jesus, who rescues us from the coming wrath.

No comments: