Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Going Through The Motions

It was a beautiful day. I had the opportunity get some extra z's and have a great cup of coffee once I finally got out of bed. Dan had to work this past weekend so I was taking my time getting up and starting my day. I had had a lot to look forward to this weekend. My best friend was coming to visit and I was going to pick her and her family up from the airport. She had flown in from the East-coast to surprise her Dad for his 60th birthday. Dan was meeting up with us after work for the surprise dinner.  The weather was perfect and the sun was shinning. I was looking forward to starting my landscaping for the year. 

I decided that I had a few hours before I had to go to the airport and would go buy a few things to start my planting along with a few things we needed for the house. I went to Wal-Mart; I don't enjoy shopping there. However, I am a very thrifty person, so paying more just to shop at a little nicer store is stupid (especially in these times). So, off to Wal-Mart I went. I entered the store with the idea of  "get what I needed and get out". I found a few things, grabbed a few flowers and headed for the check out.

 The lines were packed as always. I finally decided on one and looked up to a clerk who look ever annoyed at being there and the people she was helping. ( I remember thinking to myself what a crab she looked like, another reason I hate shopping here) Finally, it was my turn to check out. I made eye contact and asked how she was doing. (You know the thing that we always say to each other, the polite thing to ask with the polite response of I am fine if you are on the receiving end) However, this is not what happened. 

She proceeded to tell me she was really doing horrible. Her brother had been diagnosed with cancer and was not doing well. He had been in the hospital this past week and they had started to talk about hospice and she desperately wanted to be by his side. Except, she couldn't afford to miss work. (I happen to be buying a scrub top and so when she rang it up asked if I was in health care) I informed her that I was a nurse and she asked me several questions about things that had been going on with her brother. I was able to answer them and offer her a little support. As we talked, her eyes welled up with tears and I could not help but think about what she must be going through.I glanced down the row of impatient customers to see the next man in line listening to our conversation. I could tell it had also impacted him. I paid and wished her well.

 As I walked out to my car I couldn't help but think... God had placed me in that very store, in that very line and had me ask that question because she needed support.  That simple question that we as a society throw around so carelessly. It is so easy to ask.... and just as easy to truly listen and care for the response. I was convicted! I was challenged to think beyond my to do list and my day and care for someone else. 

So, my challenge in our ever so busy world..... Stop and ask someone how they are... and then wait. Wait for their response. You might be surprised how it impacts you and stops you from just going through the motions. 

No comments: